James Ray Anderson

James Ray Anderson
James Ray Anderson
0 comments

Virtual Machine - Computer on a Computer?

11:13 AM

I love this technology stuff. Although virtualzation or emulation has been around for years - it is so much easier and better now.

Ever wanted to run a Linux OS on your Windows machine? Well, VMWare makes it easy. Essentially you can use the pre-made virtual machine appliances (files) for just about any Linux flavor. You just need a good computer (dual processor is best) and some space (10+ gigs) and a player.

The VMWare Player is free and allows you to run the virtual machine on your computer. I run them on my Laptop (Dell M4300) and my Desktop (Dell Precision 490) for software development and testing purposes. I use the VMWare Workstation ($189) which provides the ability to create virtual machine containers and installing operating systems, take snapshots, and more. Worth every penny. I also use VMWare Converter Enterprise ($$$$) to convert existing physical machines into virtual machines. however, you could use the VMWare Converter Starter (free).

0 comments:

 
Toggle Footer
Top